Sunday, October 31, 2010
Black Male Dictionary: Words and Definitions
• Male- A male is a biological entity whose essence is described by no more or no less than his biology. Maleness is a pre-determined fact of the biological life which is in no way subject to choice.
• Consciousness-Consciousness is awareness. Consciousness is a natural possibility or potential, but it must be tended or guided in order for it to develop properly.
• Awareness- awareness is the ability to see accurately what is. Being able to see accurately means that one person must be properly oriented in space, time and person, which means that the prerequisite for consciousness is to have some accurate image of one’s self and the world in which one finds himself.
• Self Discipline- Is an assertion of will power over base desire. Discipline transforms passion into a fuel reserve for self determined action.
• Self Definition- Self Definition is a declaration of manhood. True power is based upon first defining who you are.
• Transformation- Transformation is essential for the development of self determination. The human being is transformed by where his mind goes, not where his body goes.
• Self-Knowledge- Encompasses knowing your character and that you have rulership over yourself. Once you know who you are, you know what you can do.
• Self-Destruction- The determination to destroy one’s self. Self destructive values are destroying our families and destroying our relationships with each other as men and women. We must believe in the fundamental need for our own survival and our commitment to that survival.
• Manhood- Requires taking full responsibility and dealing with the consequences of his actions. A man must understand that his decisions are binding and there is a real import to real decisions.
• Husband- A husband experiences the instructional pressure that comes from being bound to a person socially, legally, spiritually, and psychologically. The key is learning the meaning and responsibility that goes with commitment. It is the commitment that begins to cultivate you. It begins to bring the rain down to the soil and requires things of you to handle the droughts.
• Fatherhood- As a father, your manhood has a challenge to stimulate its growth. The developing man, who is now a father, learns that he must keep milk in the refrigerator as well as gas in the car. Putting food in your baby’s stomach shows that not only can you move today but also, tomorrow you have a responsibility much larger than the limitation of this moment. It is through that experience with fatherhood that you come to know not only an expanded sense of mortal time, but you can glimpse immortality as you look into tomorrow’s eyes---the eyes of your offspring.
• Self Respect/Self-Esteem- Is the overall appraisal of one’s self, it encompasses beliefs and emotions. Also, it is a basic concept of personality, for it to grow; we need to have self worth. Self worth is gained from embracing challenges that result in the showing of success.
• Economics- Is a social science that analyzes the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services.
Brothers should memorize and apply!
Feel free to add to the list!
excerpts taken from "Vision for Black Men" by Na'im Akbar